#luxurychat is an interactive Twitter discussion around luxury brands and social media in 140 characters or less. Every third Wednesday afternoon 2.30PM PST/5.30PM EST of the month. In case you missed #luxurychat, transcript of this month’s chat is available here.
- @LuxuryPRGal | Christine Kirk
- @EliteTravelGal | Stacy Small
- @LuxeTiffany | Tiffany Dowd
- @MissSmartFlyer | Erina Pindar
- @TierraFilhiol | Tierra Filhiol
- @leyla_a | Leyla Arsan
- @luxmextrvlchica | Melanie Schneider
This month, we talked to YOU. Our chat centered around Fashion Week, luxury, and how social media influence us all. It’s our very own “September Issue”!
Are luxury consumers really on twitter?
- JohnAntonios: consumers of all genres are on twitter - however just like in real life they have private circles
- leyla_a: Absolutely, luxury consumers are on Twitter just less likely to speak out en masse. Like anywhere else, luxury consumer is quiet
- LoisMarketing: Yes, I agree luxury consumers on on Twitter and active in social media, also among the early adopters of new apps and technology
- JohnAntonios: luxury brands in cars, fashion, resorts, are all in the SM space - this is basic niche marketing - twitter is the new middle man
- luxmextrvlchica: social media is used by many groups of interest, a matter of targeting right consumer like rev mgment
Who did you “pick-up” during Fashion Week?
- leyla_a: I followed all of #FNO for five straight hours with @fashionstreamz - it was great fun & picked up so many new ppl to follow.
- tierrafilhiol: @Bergdorfs How epic was @twitter’s launch into the fashion industry with #nyfw!? @americanexpress as well.
Where do you feel the luxury consumer congregates online?
- mcleger: luxury consumers talk a lot, but want to do it in an exclusive venue.
- AmidPrivilege: They aren’t congregating as “luxury consumers.” These days people of means don’t like that term.
- RobertKCole: Private luxury social networks exist, but have their critics - asw.com & affluence.org come to mind, insights?
- JohnicaReed: re: Private #luxury social networks - ASW.com has been useful for me while traveling. Great global community.
Do you think the word “luxury” is overused?
- MissSmartFlyer: “Luxury” needs to be used carefully and sparingly.
- abcddesigns: it is already overdone so when it is used, doesn’t it have *so* little meaning?
- RobertKCole: Cannot agree more - GOLDEN RULE should reign over all relationships - both online & offline re: sparing usage - theexplorateur
Relationship & customer service in social media…
- bergdorfs: I follow a lot of people & try to help as many as I can, as quickly as I can!
- LoisMarketing: I am sure you are like me, always putting thought into suggesions, valuing relationship
- RobertKCole: Social platforms can be used to provide exceptional service, but they must be used on the customer’s terms
- ExclusiveResrts: The luxury consumer wants the personalized customer service on Twitter just as much as any other consumer
- ADMAVEN: @sesandiego tweeted me when I checked in - I found it nice to know they were paying attn, some may find it creepy
- SamSaysFashion: Brands/establishments should understand Twitter is 4 interacting/engaging, not just announcing promos. This isn’t Wal-mart
Thoughts on DMs…
- AmidPrivilege: I hate DMs I haven’t asked for. Enough to make me never buy that service or product.
- luxmextrvlchica: twitter is means 2 reach customer,then personalize on differnet medium
- theexplorateur: Unsolicited DMs = instant turnoff
- LoisMarketing: Here to be a friend and resource. I enjoy making introductions and connections
Measure & ROI…
- ADMAVEN: More and more brands are using metrics like @Klout to ID key taste makers and send them product
Should luxury brands have a real name handle or a business name?
- leyla_a: I think luxury brands should have 2 handles - real name & then an top level executive handle
- theexplorateur: I prefer when the Twitter handle is the actual name, feel better that I’m following the real deal!
- LuxeTiffany: Personally I don’t mind when a business use only company name. Especially with luxury hotels