As a part of Abercrombie & Kent's 50th Anniversary celebration, Mr. Geoffrey Kent, the Founder and Executive Chairman of Abercrombie & Kent, joined us for an hour of #luxchat this week. He shared with us A&K’s social media strategy and what we can look forward from A&K in the next 50 years…
A&K Social Media Channels:
On the A&K Clients:
- 17% of A&K’s guests travel solo. Many pursue a personal passion like photography.
- There is no “typical” customer! Many are busy executives who rely on us to handle the details. Time is valuable. Also, families celebrating milestone events.
- Travelers are looking further and further off the beaten path to find authentic experiences. Stronger demand now for places like East Africa, China, Antarctica.
- A&K is developing a very high end concierge division to serve its top clients.
On Luxury Travel:
- Luxury is not just about thread count, but quality of experience. Travelers are looking further and further off the beaten path to find authentic experiences.
- The mindset of the traveler has changed. People expect greater value
- Luxury is a balance of authenticity, flexibility and a complete sense of well-being.
On the importance of a tour operator in luxury travel:
- To have a reliable/knowledgeable person available 24/7 is so imperative when time is money for someone.
- Every luxury travel agent & tour operator would agree that it’s all about the details! We have access to people and places you couldn’t experience on your own - with the best guides available.
- With 50 years’ experience, we’re experts at dealing with the unexpected while still offering seamless service. There’s so much info avail online. It’s overwhelming. The details that aren’t “Googleable” can make or break a trip.
- I think of A&K as world’s oldest start up. In search of new experiences for our clients in emerging destinations, continuing to deliver a better, more luxurious, more personalized experience than anyone else
On Inspiration Behind A&K Philanthropy efforts:
- Our love for the areas we operate in. A deep-rooted concern for the natural world infuses every A&K journey
- Tourism is the most effective way to transfer wealth from rich nations to poorer ones.
On Social Media:
- A&K handle Social Media in-house, as the constant flow of information would be too difficult for outside source to keep up with.
- With 50 offices worldwide we have direct access to stories, trends and photos, which makes conversation more authentic.
- With social media, we are so much more connected. You get instant feedback about what people want.
- Social media gets you inspired, but travel is the real thing.
- SM has introduced an entirely new audience of travelers to A&K. Our social media goal is to grow the community further and act as a go-to destination resource for travelers.
On iPad & Technology:
- We have an iPad app. Very interactive and visual, to download the A&K Travel app click here
- Instead of printed itinerary, guests can request an A&K itinerary be delivered to the iPad or eReader
- We’ll be sure to keep our #luxchat friends posted on our Pinterest plans!